Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Inspiration...

Just the other day a friend asked me something that no one ever has before. The question was: "Out of all the works of art throughout history, which one do you wish you had created?" My first response was: How in the world can I answer such a broad question? I mean, there are at least 2 dozen within nearly every art movement that I wish I had created. It really would be impossible.

With this question weighing on my mind, I thought it would be fun this week to see if I could pull a handful out to share. I somehow managed to think of five works under the umbrella of the Pre-Raphaelite movement ( my favorite period in art) that I seem to keep coming back to for inspiration. These really don't begin to scratch the surface but they are some that I certainly wish I had created.

In no particular order:

( Ophelia John Everett Millais)

(The Lady of Shalott John Waterhouse)

( Veronica Veronese Dante Gabriel Rossetti)


(Tree of Forgiveness Edward Coley Burne-Jones)



(Night and Sleep Evelyn De Morgan)

5 comments:

Victoria said...

Rebecca...wonderful...I so loved this post..kindreds ..I have to agree being a favorite of mine as well. They are all such spells of beauty..there is just something so magnificent about this time period/era and movement..that has always captivated me powerfully ..and it began early on. Thanks for creating this post..these are some of my favorites..and Waterhouse's work always amazes me..you can stare at it and see more and more each time. Beautiful!!

Have a sparkling week. and thankyou for your lovely visit and comment!
Victoria~

Zuzana said...

Oh, I am with you all the way, I love the Pre-Raphaelites!
I have a reproduction of "The meeting on the turret stairs" by Frederick William Burton hanging in my bedroom. It was given to me by someone special.
Beautiful choices here.;)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

What an interesting question! That's got me thinking!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Too many to count.
but one of them would be The Painter's Honeymoon, by Lord Frederic Leighton. I love the way the folds of her dress catch the light. Magic.

ChaChaneen said...

Ah, the Lady of Shalot... makes me think of Anne of Green Gables every time! ha ha

Hi Gorgeous! Came over to visit your new blog and see what has been inspiring you! Whew, you are busy! I lurve this post, very beautiful choices indeed.

Have a great weekend and know that I think of you often when I have a cuppa!

Blessings,
Janeen