Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Muse Within




Artist's Statement:


“ Above all, art is a never ending process in which you learn something valuable with every creation that you bring forth. My first love has always been drawing. A pencil or pen is so pure and honest. I’m amazed by what can be achieved with line, stippling and value progression. There is an immediacy and purity there which captivates me unlike any other art form."

Welcome to The Muse Within. In the coming months I will be posting drawings, illustrations and paper cuttings from my portfolio. This site will also feature art history articles, essays, exhibits and other musings from my studio. This is where I hope to connect with those who love and want to learn more about the creative process. Above all, it is to be a place where all are welcome to visit.

My website, www.rebecccachamberlainart.com, is in the process of being published. It will hopefully be completed by mid week, around August 11Th.

The first image featured here, Nouveau Butterly, is from a series of Art Nouveau-inspired pieces that I made in late April. The idea came from some designs that I saw in turn of the century wrought iron fences. Every single pen and ink piece that I make with the combination of line, scrolling design, and dot is heavily influenced by Aubrey Beardsley's work. I am completely captivated and drawn to his illustrations and find that most of my latest pieces, even paper cuts, have these characteristics incorporated in them in some way.

This illustration was made with Faber Castell pens on Arches cold pressed acid free watercolor paper. The size is 5" x 7". For purchase information please use the contact email on the sidebar.

12 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Congrats, Rebecca! I hope you find great success and pleasure doing this art blog! xo

Victoria said...

Congrats on this new and beautful blog! I look forward to your creations and seein it all unfold!
Wonderful work!! Shine on!
Victoria~

Rebecca said...

Thank you so much for the kind words, Betsy and Victoria! And thanks for being the very first bloggers to post over here! Yippee!!!

Patrick Lynch said...

Love the new blog, and I'm looking forward to the new website. Reminds me that I need to update mine again!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new blog...I really like the look! I will be checking back to see all your work. This is very exciting!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed, Rebecca! I'm glad that you are sharing more of your creative artwork...
:) The Bach

Rebecca said...

Patrick,Lady Cat, and Bach, it's so good to see you over here...Thank you so much. I really appreciate the support.:)

Michael said...

How very exciting dear Rebecca. I love your stuff...an hey, am thrilled C.T. could help towards that end. :)

You are inspiring me to get up my art blog too.

Now, I must ask, will you also be offering an Etsy for those who might be interested in pieces or prints? :)

I love all your B&W art. Yes, get that whole concept of the immediacy of drawing too. So true.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Mmm :)

CT definitely helped, thank you! Nothing like a theme and a deadline to get a procrastnator to take action. Reminds me that I need to put the CT logo up later today and get my entry finshed this weekend.

Oh, good! Can't wait to see your art blog. I know that will be wonderful.

Etsy will be up next. I'll work on that in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you again for such postive words...You are such a dear friend.

FireLight said...

This is such a handsome blog design. It really showcases your work beautifullY! Congraualtions on launching THE MUSE WITHIN!
The Angel of Mercy is so tender and peaceful...love the pose.

Michael said...

I have never used those pens but was thinking you must be using Indian ink for the illustrations like the one above. I love it and that is it BW too--makes me want to try something lie this. Need to get some pens too.

Rebecca said...

Mmm,
I wrote about the pen/s I used in my reply to your post about the angels.

They really are great fun to work with...:)