Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Inspiration Tuesdays

( Amaryllis Minerva 2010 by Rebecca Chamberlain)

I absolutely adore Botanical Illustration and have wanted to take a course dedicated exclusively to this art form for ages but could never find one that fit both my budget as well as my schedule. So, I found one online( will post more about that experience as it unfolds) and decided to take the plunge. Though I've toyed with this kind of illustration for awhile now ( see above pen and ink drawing), I have so much to learn. Well, there's no time like the present, right?


With all that said, there is one artist in particular that I discovered last year whose work I find incredibly inspirational. Her skill is exceptional but perhaps even more impressive to me is that she has mastered colored pencil in a way that boggles the mind. I purchased her book Botanical Painting With Colored Pencil about 6 months ago and love everything about it, especially since I'm more comfortable with pencils than brushes. Who is she? Her name is Ann Swan. Her credentials blow me away especially her membership in the Society of Botanical Artists( no small feat) and the Society of Floral Painters. I know that she has taught workshops in some US cities so if you would like to try your hand at botanicals, and hear her name mentioned, run to sign up. They do fill up fast. For those who can't make it to one of her workshops, just look at her site, order her book, and marvel!

9 comments:

Victoria said...

Wow..beautiful..gorgeous work Rebecca!!Inspiring as ever! Love it.

I love botanical work too..something special about it!
Ooh Lovely..and wonderful new link to check out..she sounds fabulous!
yay!
Victoria~

Zuzana said...

Dear Rebecca, your pencil (pen and ink) work is stunning! I have always enjoyed drawing with a pencil and did a lot of drawings as a teenager, but mine were of ethereal looking ladies and horses.
I agree with your admiration of Ann Swans work. Never heard of her, but the example here is incredible. Close to photograph like.;)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love botanical illustrations and have so much respect for anyone who can do them - that is really detailed fine work to achieve. Good luck with your course - will be looking forward to seeing how you progress. Claire x

Rebecca said...

Hi Kiki! Glad to see you over here and thank you so much for your kind comments. I really appreciate that.

Zuzana,
Thank you so much..ooh...do you still have any of those drawings you did when you were younger? I'll be they were wonderful.

Rebecca said...

Hello Claire! Welcome to the new blog.

It's good to hear from you!

Thank you so much for the well wishes with the course. I have a feeling I'll learn a great deal from it. I really hope it will get me back to drawing from life again. Gosh,I need that. :)

I'll post my projects and hope to get some feedback from my blogging friends.

Michael said...

BUT, dear Rebecca, her toadstools aren't bright, red, polka dotted and cheery! Ha.

Wow, her cover art here and inside her site is very inspirational indeed. you coudl do that easily, judging from your own art above. So crazily detailed. Whoa. Seriously now. Whoa.

Love it. :)

Betsy Brock said...

Beautiful! I love botanical art...and avian. I'm looking forward to more of these from you!

Rebecca said...

Mmm, thank you, dear friend. You know your toadstools are priceless. :)

Glad you enjoyed Ann Swan's work and thank you for the kind comments. I am such an amateur where botanicals are concerned but am learning, and will learn more.

Betsy,

Thank you! I love Natural History in general and am a huge fan of Audubon. Glad you enjoy this type or art. :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to take up oil painting someday... maybe when I retire... I would think the most important thing to remember is the angle and direction of light..
:) The Bach